Pages

Friday 6 August 2010

Tutorial for an Emery Board Holder


EDITED 4th November 2012
I have modified this template slightly
new post is HERE

EDITED 5th March 2014
I've made some using a faux leather
technique - much stronger
new post is HERE
I made these little holders from card to hold a few emery boards.  They measure approximately 5" x 2" so are ideal to keep in your handbag or on your work desk for when you need to do a quick repair to your finger nail.

I used a textured white core cardstock, but any good quality card would do.



I've just realised that I've missed a couple of measurements off the template - the width is 2" (but it extends to 3" for the bottom part as shown).  The two side flaps at the bottom measure 1/2" wide each (so the flaps are three and half inch long by a half inch wide).  Sorry about that, but please don't hesitate to ask me if anything is still unclear.

To make the front a little more interesting, I textured it with my Big Shot die cutting machine using a Cuttlebug embossing folder.



I did a bit of rubber stamping inside and out.


Using an emery board (they're not only for nails!) I rubbed over the textured part to give a distressed look.


I sewed on two co-ordinating buttons - best to do this now before sticking the holder together!


Leave a tail of cotton on the top flap as this will be wound around the bottom button to become the fastener.

Using a glue stick, apply glue to the front of the two small flaps.


Stick the flaps to the underneath section and hold in place for a few minutes with some clothes pegs to ensure good adhesion.


Once firmly stuck down, insert a few emery boards into the pocket and you're good to go!



They are quick and easy to make and are nice little gifts to give to your family and friends - they would also make good Christmas stocking fillers.

Thanks for looking and if you do make any yourself, I'd love to see them!

21 comments:

My name is Cindy said...

That's really cool Sherry! Always looking for little ideas like that!

BadPenny said...

I LOVE these !!! thank you for showing how you made them

Createology said...

Great practical gift item and easily mailable. Thank you so much for sharing your tutorial. Happy creating...

Terry said...

Oh that is awesome! I am going to try it with grungpaper! TFS and have a great weekend!

Meggymay said...

A great idea Sherry, will be copying this one, its a super stocking filler.

Mrs A. said...

So thats how you did it!!! Love the one you did for me. Will be taking it on holiday with me.

PetraB said...

Such an awesome idea, might make one.

Jen xo said...

Such a wonderful idea Sherry thanks for sharing.. jenxo

JaN's ArTy JouRneY said...

These are cute!
Thanks for the tute Sherry!

Jan x

Deborah said...

Wooo! I can see pictures again! I always wondered how you'd made my lovely emery board case - thank you for sharing. And I love the vintage ones here.

Jan said...

What a fantastic idea Sherry.... thank you for sharing and for the tutorial xx

NEEDLEWINGS said...

I made one but out of fabric. This is wonderful too!

Gini said...

I was wondering how you made them!
This is an exceedingly good picture tutorial.
Thank you so much for putting it together :-)
Gini
xx

Gez Butterworth said...

Wow! what a beautiful little gift. Thanks for showing us how..xx

Oh Sew Addicted said...

Beautiful project! I love it and will make some for my friends!
carla louise
www.ohsewaddicted.com

tinka said...

A very fantastic idea, I will try it too.It looks very wunderfull and its a nice giveaway...
Thank you for the tutorial.
Greetings
tinka

Gena said...

I love this idea! Really cute! Going to make some for myself and my friends. Thanks for sharing. :)

lisbonlioness said...

These are gorgeous!

Scott and Jillian said...

Awesome! These are so darling! I posted a link on my craft blog so I can find this post later. Thanks!!

Sandra Foster said...

Hi Sherry. We have the same cuttlebug folder. This is one of my favs. I have done something similiar to this and it's scheduled to post in a couple of months. Love the idea for a nail file holder too.

Unknown said...

These are fantastic! so pretty and thanks for the amazing tutorial. I came here via Shabby Art Boutique.